Thursday, May 24, 2007

Canning

My mom did a great deal of canning when I was growing up and of course my sisters and I got to help out quite a bit. At the time it didn't always seem that thrilling, but I'm so thankful to my mom for teaching us. Last summer I did some canning completely on my own...I only called my mom a couple of times. Canning has become a lost art. If you have never done it for yourself, you can't really understand just how rewarding it is to see all the pretty jars lined up after all of your hard work is finished. Recently my mother-in-law gave me a book called the Ball Blue Book of Preserving. It's a great book that covers everything you need to know about canning as well as other types of preserving such as freezing and dehydrating. I am looking forward to trying out some new recipes for pickles, and jam and jellies this year. So far I haven't done anything too difficult on my own, but I hope to continue to learn.

1 comments:

A Heart of Praise said...

Behind our house there are quite a few wild blackberry patches. I was thinking about maybe trying to make jelly with them when they ripen. :) I will have to look up the canning book that you mentioned.